‘I was gone for an hour’: Trump reveals close call before delaying strike on Iran | Today’s news

US President Donald Trump said on Tuesday (May 19th) that the United States could launch new military strikes against Iran within days if talks on Tehran’s nuclear program fail, warning that Washington “cannot allow it to have a new nuclear weapon”.

Speaking to reporters at the White House, Trump revealed he was close to authorizing another strike before deciding to delay military action.

“Today I was an hour away from deciding to go,” Trump said.

The remarks came a day after Trump announced he was suspending a planned resumption of hostilities following a new proposal by Tehran aimed at ending the ongoing US-Israeli conflict with Iran.

Trump warns strikes could come ‘Friday, Saturday, Sunday’

Trump has indicated that military action remains a serious option if talks break down.

“Well, I mean, I’m saying two or three days, maybe Friday, Saturday, Sunday, something, maybe early next week, a limited time because we can’t allow them to have a new nuclear weapon,” he told reporters.

The comments underscored rising tensions despite ongoing diplomatic efforts involving mediators including Pakistan.

Oil markets reacted cautiously to Trump’s remarks, with Brent crude down 1.64% to around $110.26 a barrel after earlier volatility linked to concerns over an escalation of the conflict in the Persian Gulf region.

Vance says both sides want to avoid renewed conflict

US Vice President JD Vance said Washington and Tehran had made significant progress in negotiations and indicated that neither side wanted a return to full military confrontation.

During a briefing at the White House, Vance said the two countries were trying to avoid another round of attacks after a ceasefire reached earlier this year.

Trump also struck a more optimistic tone on Monday, saying diplomacy remains possible.

“It seems like there’s a very good chance they can work something out. If we can do that without bombing the hell out of them, I’d be very happy,” Trump said.

Iran says Trump backpedaled for fear of retaliation

Tehran’s officials responded defiantly to Trump’s threats.

According to Iranian state media, lawmaker Ebrahim Azizi said Trump delayed military action after realizing any strike would provoke a “decisive military response” from Iran.

The latest Iranian proposal reportedly includes demands for:

-Cease hostilities throughout the region, including Lebanon

-Withdrawal of US forces from areas near Iran

-Reparations for damages caused by US-Israeli attacks

-Releasing frozen Iranian funds

-Lifting what Tehran described as a US naval blockade

However, reports suggested that the proposal was largely similar to earlier Iranian offers that Trump had previously dismissed as “rubbish”.

Pakistan acts as a mediator in the negotiations

A Pakistani source confirmed that Pakistan had forwarded Iran’s proposal to Washington after holding earlier rounds of indirect talks between the two sides.

“The sides keep changing their goals,” the source said, adding: “We don’t have much time.”

Islamabad has emerged as a key mediator in attempts to prevent further escalation of the conflict.

Read also | Trump’s new White House project: a helipad on the South Lawn

Concerns about the Strait of Hormuz are growing

The prospect of renewed conflict has raised alarm over security in the Strait of Hormuz, a vital global oil shipping route.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio and UN Secretary-General António Guterres reportedly discussed trying to prevent Iran from mining the waterway or imposing transit fees.

According to the US State Department, Rubio highlighted “overwhelming support” among UN member states for measures aimed at keeping the strait open.

The conflict is leaving thousands dead across the region

The broader US-Israeli military campaign against Iran and allied groups has caused widespread destruction throughout the Middle East.

Thousands of people were reportedly killed in Iran before a ceasefire came into effect earlier this year.

In Lebanon, Israeli operations against Iran-backed Hezbollah have displaced hundreds of thousands of people and killed thousands more.

Iranian retaliatory attacks targeting Israel and the Gulf states have also caused casualties and raised fears of a wider regional war.

Although the Iranian ceasefire is largely in place, drones have recently been launched from Iraq towards Gulf countries, including Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, allegedly by groups linked to Iran.

Read also | Putin to visit Beijing shortly after Donald Trump leaves China: What’s cooking?

Similar Posts