Manipur families seek release of Kuki captives from Naga

Kuki-Zo organizations said another 14 members of their community, including three minor students, remain in captivity. | Photo Credit: Civil Society Organization/ANI

The families of 14 abducted Kuki-Zo people in the hill districts of Manipur have again appealed for their safe release as the deadline set by an apex Naga organization for the state government to trace their missing community members expired on Sunday (May 17, 2026) evening.

More than 40 Kuki-Zo and Naga people, including women and minors, were held captive by suspected extremists after three church leaders from the Thadou tribe were ambushed and killed by unknown gunmen on May 13. On May 15, the kidnappers released 28 hostages – 14 from both communities.

Kuki-Zo organizations said another 14 members of their community, including three minor students, remain in captivity. According to the Liangmai (Naga) Women’s Union in Kangpokpi District, six Nagas continue to be held hostage.

“We are not addressing you today with the language of politics, conflict or adversaries, but with the raw, heartfelt cry of mothers, fathers, wives and children. We are the families of 13 individuals from Taphou Kuki village and one from Hengbung village who are still in custody as of May 13,” the families wrote in a joint appeal on Sunday.

They said that most of the captives did not take part in the conflict and that many of those detained may be suffering from poor health, psychological trauma and severe suffering.

“Deep and excruciating pain is inflicted on our family every hour,” the families said, adding that the mothers, fathers and children lived in a state of unbearable grief and prayed daily for the safety of their loved ones.

Recalling the “history of peace, mutual respect and brotherhood” between the Kuki and Naga villagers of Senapati district, the families said, “Our boys are not activists or fighters and have absolutely nothing to do with the wider conflict or political storms that surround us.”

The four hill districts – Kuki-dominated Churachandpur and Kangpokpi and Naga-majority Senapati and Ukhrul – have been tense since the conflict between the two tribal Christian communities began in February following an overnight brawl. Since then, more than half a dozen people have been killed and dozens of houses set on fire.

Kuki-Zo organizations imposed a 48-hour shutdown on May 13 following the killing of church leaders, which was extended by another 48 hours due to the hostage crisis. The shutdown affected the movement of goods on the two main highways connecting the Imphal Valley with the rest of the country.

The United Naga Council (UNC), which had on Saturday (May 16, 2026) set a deadline for the Manipur government to secure the release of Nagas missing since May 13, extended the deadline till 6 pm on Sunday after receiving a letter from the Home Ministry that large-scale search operations were underway. “Even after these delays, six innocent Naga civilians are still being held hostage by Kuki militants as reports have been received that the state machinery has not been able to track them down and rescue them even after the deadlines. In view of the situation, we are forced to initiate an inter-district economic blockade along the national highways in the Naga areas of the Naga region of Manipur until the safe rescue of the hosts in Manipur.” UNC said in a statement.

Published – 17 May 2026 20:15 IST